TowerWatch Ministries • View topic - Overdisciplining of Children

Former Jehovah’s Witnesses and others creating a warm Christian atmosphere

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Overdisciplining of Children
PostPosted: Thu 03 Oct, 2013 7:22 pm 

Being a Jehovah's Witness, I made a formal announcement that I wouldn't post on this forum anymore, but this time I've decided to bend the rules just for once. (I suppose I'm a naughty boy who needs a bit of discipline) I'm bringing a subject into question which has recently been spotlighted by the media.

Corporal punishment of children is based on the concept that sometimes if a child doesn't like something it is for their own good. However, there are varying opinions on the subject. One child psychologist wrote 'Did you mothers realize that every time you spank your child, you show that you are hating your child'. However, in Proverbs 23:13,14 it says 'Do not hold back discipline from the mere boy. In case you beat him with the rod, he will not die. With the rod you yourself should beat him, that you may deliver his soul from Sheol itself.

There has been some controversy in recent years surrounding the practice of 'paddling' used in schools, which is still legal in certain states of the US, which will probably lead to American schools going along the same path as British ones and abolishing the practice altogether.

Also, a young woman named Hillary Adams recently posted this video clip on YouTube, which had filmed secretly at 16, which has led to her father being temporarily suspended as a judge. Personally, the video clip makes me glad I was never adopted, although some of the more sternly brought up ones amongst us will no doubt regard it as quite good parenting. However, I must stress that I am posting this clip with the purpose of starting a debate, and apologize for the language used in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVHmpPwDUY

How would you discipline your child? Would you ever spank them at all, and would you give permission for a school teacher to spank them if you lived in a 'paddling' state?