TowerWatch Ministries • View topic - Seeking Christianity

Former Jehovah’s Witnesses and others creating a warm Christian atmosphere

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking Christianity
PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:57 pm 

I have been on an adventure. While I'm now attending a Christian church, and it has been years since I was involved with the JW's, I'm still haunted by their teachings. I made a comment in a group that I didn't care what happened to me after I died. This was partially about my own problems and also about the fact that I can't resolve heaven and the JWs paradise on earth. I have asked Jesus to come into my life and help sort out these many conflicts but I still struggle. How did you get past all the old teachings?

I bought a "study bible" and felt guilty about it. I also brought in one of the JW books to a Christian lady at work who skimmed it and said that they didn't believe in the trinity which was an important facet of Christianity. While I seek the truth, I feel stumbled whichever way I turn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alegre

Post subject: Re: Seeking Christianity
PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 3:58 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hi alegre, I have been waiting to see who would respond to your question I see that 30 people have read your post but none answered you. I know there are lots who have posted on this D/B who have found themselves in your situation and I am very sad that someone hasn't responded to you.
though I am not qualified to give you an answer to your question as I have never been a JW I would encourage you to keep close to God/Jesus, keep praying and reading your bible (not the NWT) and go to a good bible teaching fellowship (church).

God Bless.
john

Joh 13:1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Seeking Christianity
PostPosted: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 11:50 pm 

Hola Alegre...

I'm not on this board too often anymore but I noticed your post and thought I would try to help. Like John.a I come from a non-JW background so I have no "insider" experience as some others on this forum do.

I know that the JWs harp on the heaven vs. paradise earth thing a lot and honestly can't understand why. No matter what, whether we spend eternity in heaven or on paradise earth, we are saved by placing our faith in the Son of God and in His finished work on the cross. Period. Nothing we can do for God (preaching, Bible knowledge, obeying JW doctrine, etc.) can even come close to what He has done for us. The real question is, can a person really put their faith in Christ through the Watchtower org? I think the answer is yes, but the Watchtower puts a lot of pseudo-theological clutter and an emphasis on works (vs. an emphasis on grace) in front of Jesus, which makes it harder to see Him and believe. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to trouble your mind with the whole "what happens when I die" thing. If you have put your faith in Jesus Christ alone for your salvation, then you be with Him when your life in this world is over, whether that be on paradise earth or in heaven.

God knows all, and His mind is revealed to us through His Word. Whatever energy you expend reading and seeking to understand His Word (just YOU, not with JW publications' aid) will help you in your struggle. I believe it is the height of utmost arrogance for the Watchtower to claim that only they have the insight to understand the Scriptures. God's Holy Spirit is given to believers for that purpose (among others), and I have experienced the Holy Spirit's help in understanding the Scriptures many times in my walk with God.

I have come to the conclusion that a great many JW teachings are designed to make people dependent on the Watchtower (instead of God) for their spiritual development...which means when they start questioning as you are, you feel you have nowhere to go but back to them and their doctrine for help. No!! You can be free indeed -- freed by our Lord Jesus Christ! You do not need to rely on any human organization for your relationship with God. His love is limitless, mind-blowing, and unconditional!

Jay