TowerWatch Ministries • View topic - Hello.

Former Jehovah’s Witnesses and others creating a warm Christian atmosphere

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello.
PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 9:25 am 
Poster

Just found this forum and as an ex JW am pleased to see there is somewhere to go a vent ones anger [maybe] frustration etc.
My main concern is how easy it is to believe something so wrong and controlling that you loose site of any form of truth.
Of all the Witnesses I am still able to talk to the overwhelming thing that comes across is that many are hanging on to the "truth" by their fingertips.
With no more dates being able to be set for them they are left [they feel] in just hoping God will sort it all out. and of course he will.
May many more come to the understanding that "Gods way is really higher than mans" and that his love is all embracing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 11:39 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hi James, first let me welcome you as others have in another thread. My dads name was James Richards so when I saw your name I had to post :8) I've never been a JW but my wife "Is" and I'm praying for the day that she sees the "real" truth. Glad to have you around for more insight and knowledge.

Bruce

I may not yet be the man I should be or the man, with Christ’s help, I someday will be, but thank God I’m not the man I used to be!! (Martin Luther King Jr. Author)

Post subject: Re: Hello.
PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 12:19 pm 

James Richard wrote:
Quote:
My main concern is how easy it is to believe something so wrong and controlling that you loose site of any form of truth.

This is one thing that still bothers me too. I can't believe how long I really believed it was the "truth", how it sucked my whole family in too. Why me?
Why did it take me so long to figure it all out? I don't like to think that I was so gullible.

Sophia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 1:54 pm 

Ditto those thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 5:41 pm 

I have been mulling over this question for some time: How can I, who I feel is an intelligent person, be taken in by the WTS?

It's the way they present their version of the bible. The simplicity of it all at first. They appear to have the answers....especially for those of us longing for an escape from the present system of the world. We want or desire something where all man lives at peace. (Star Trek....yes, I'm a big fan)

We all long to see dead loved ones. We all want to believe they aren't being tormented or something of that nature. We all want to think all evil will be wiped off the earth very soon.

BAM>..............we're hooked. Happens to the best of us....happens to many. BUT...when we start to think for ourselves instead of just taking their word for it...we realize deep down there are several inconsistent things with the WTS and we realize we've allowed ourselves to be associated with a False Prophet....that's what gets us in the end...how could we not see that?

Happens to many but Christ brings us to God.

Former J.W.

as of 01/20/07

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 5:51 pm 

Amen Ken, that's what I'm praying for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb, 2007 5:24 pm 

Hello James and welcome to a fun and very informative site. Yes, it is true when you look at the overwhelming evidence how can some people be entangled by what they call the truth? I have learned one thing is to attack with subtle clues allowing some close vision clarification. If you only feed a little bit they just might come back for seconds. This is something that I am learning to deal with but it does work and of course a lot of prayer.

Another Brother in Christ
Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb, 2007 3:03 pm 
Master Member
Master Member

Welcome to our friendly forum James Richard. Sadly many people are led into cults (not just JW's) because of loneliness, depression, lack of understanding of Scripture, etc. When starting a book study with JW's, they don't talk about all the rules and regulations. They talk about Paradise, living forever among lions and tigers and bears (oh my!), never suffering or getting sick or dying. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Once they've got your full attention, they slowly start to reel you in, and before you know it you have no family or friends other than the ones in the org. Then the threats and fears start: If must be for us, you can't be against us. If you are against us you will be alone, miserable, and doomed to death. So different from the loving gospel taught by Jesus Christ, but once they've got a hold on you it's difficult to break away.

So glad you've joined us. Praise God for getting you out!

Blessings,

Mrs. R