TowerWatch Ministries • View topic - Welcome TrekkerKen!

Former Jehovah’s Witnesses and others creating a warm Christian atmosphere

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome TrekkerKen!
PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 3:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to our forum TrekkerKen, glad to have you with us.

Today's "Quote Worth Re-quoting"
“Many people think they have an open mind when it is really their mouth.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thanks..I hope I learn something here...
PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 4:36 pm 

:shock:

Yes, I have been shocked!

My name is Ken and I have been baptized since 1989. I am married, two kids, living in KS. I grew up around the Organization. My uncle, who is now inactive, was an elder in the Birch Tree, MO congregation. I was brought up in the "truth" by my grandparents who were somewhat inactive themselves.

My mom and dad studied when I was very young. My dad was told he would have to give up being a policeman and that was it for him. He also had issues with several topics of the witnesses.

I started as an unbaptized publisher sometime in my high school years. It was really tough on me. My mother was going through depression and it was unbearable at times..(dishes thrown at me because I didn't clean them right..that sort of thing). We were all baptized (me, mom, sis, stepdad) at the same Circuit Assembly. My sister later moved in with our Dad because she couldn't handle the issues at home. She went inactive at that point.

I tried to live up to being a "good witness" kid. I aux pioneered alot, worked in the cong alot too. At one point, I was stripped of my duties because I went with a group after work at the local Wal-Mart. Our Store Manager was being transferred and we took him around town in a wheelbarrow and then dunked him in the local river. I was told this was a pagan ritual and I was stripped of my duties for six months. I didn't understand, but fell in line.

I was later appointed a Ministerial Servant, moved to KS and got married. My new wife had been a Reg Pio but quit when we got married due to financial issues. I had always wanted to attend college but was always told it was "wrong". I always wanted to be a cop like my dad but that was "wrong" because I might "kill" someone.

I moved up with Wal-Mart and was told about three months after moving to a new state with the company; over the phone no less, I wouldn't be recommended to the new hall as a MS. I was crushed. That elder later disassociated himself. I tried to apply myself but started having doubts. The wife had a hard time being so far from her mommy, so I secured a transfer back to KS. UGH

After the birth of our second child, I got horribly sick. By this time I was irregular. I had HSP, a form of vasculitis. I also got a kidney disease from that. I ballooned up in weight. I couldn't go to the mail box without being exhausted.

I decided to take matters in hand and I changed some of my life. I got better and became a part-time cop. Of course, you can imagine the problems that resulted from that. My wife later told me that was when she started having depression....hhmmm.

Of course, I was unofficially marked. I later became a full time cop and it went further down hill. Nobody would do anything with us. Hardly anyone would talk with us. We moved congregations and that seemed to help. Actually, all it did was move us to a congregation where I was subjected to subtle comments and suggestions. "You could be a MS again...all that's holding you back is your job." Stuff like that. They started "encouraging" me to explore other job options and kept on that kind of track. I eventually (much to my despair later) quit my job as a Deputy Sheriff.

Well, that was cake to everyone else. I was being used in the congregation. Of course, it felt nice at first. But, home life started getting hard again. I now made alot less money and it was harder work. We tried this for two years. They started talking to me about perhaps an appointment as a MS again. Even went back to Westview cong because of gas money issues.

I just couldn't do it anymore. I'd left a job I loved for what? During this time, we'd moved in with mother-in-law because father-in-law had passed away suddenly. In for a year, out for a year and in for another year. (More on that later.)

I secretly went back to part time law enforcement. I started drawing back from meetings and service. I later revealed to my wife what I was doing. She almost divorced me.(sometimes I wish she had.) That was when we moved back with her mom because her mom couldn't handle it money wise. I thought it was what was expected of us or we'd be shunned for not taking care of our "responsibility".

In February 2006, I went back to being a full time cop. We changed back to the Paola hall again, but it wasn't the same. You know, the looks on others faces. "He's a cop, he's not spiritually strong."

I'd had all I could take. In the fall of 2006, I got Ray Franz book Crisis of Consience. It was fantastic! All the things I'd thought or wondered about were confirmed. I also was doing research on my own. I wrote a six page letter to the Gov Bod and the local elders disassociating myself. (Due to family pressure, I later recanted much to my chagrine.)

My wife almost divorced me (wish now she did) and her mother said I couldn't live there anymore. That "apostate" book has brought a bad feeling into the house, she said she could feel the demons there. So, we were told to move. Now, I'd wanted out of that house since the day we moved in. That in of itself was a blessing. Thanks Ray Franz!!!

Now, today, I stand as a JW still, since I recanted my letter. I regret alot of things in my life. Not going to college, living my life as others wanted me to, the usual things that I'm finding out others have felt too.

I want to leave....and that would most certainly bring Divorce as my wife feels loyalty to the WTS IS loyalty to Jehovah God; above all else, even family. But...perhaps that would be for the best. She is part of a system that I have found to be faulty and controlling. She will NEVER change...but I need to change. The hard part is going to be my children.

So,.....advice, help???

Thank you for reading my story as it has unfolded thus far. There is indeed more to it than I have written...but who wants to read a boring story?

EDITING NEW: I just found out today my wife threw away my copy of Ray's Crisis book...so looks like I'm going to have to buy another one and sneek it into the house if I want to read it again. She told me she'd throw away any "apostate" stuff that was in the house.

EDITING NEW 2: As onf 01/20/07 I am no longer a JW!!! I feel so free!

Former J.W.

as of 01/20/07

Last edited by TrekkerKen on Sun 25 Feb, 2007 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 5:30 pm 

Hey Ken. Welcome to our forum.

What a touching story. Every time I read a new one, it brings back a flood of memories to my mind. Each story is different but the same. We have all felt the lack of love and betrayal the Org has given us. For me also the Crisis of Conscience book gave me a lot of closure to things I had been wondering about for years. I am certainly glad I read it. It helped to give me peace of mind that I had left for good reason.

You will no doubt hear from others here who are having the same issues you are having with marriage mates. I hope they will be able to give you some good advice. I feel for the children. I will pray you and your wife can work out a reasonable decision for their sakes.

If my husband would read your story, he would sure have a lot of sympathy with you and the job issue. He has struggled with this for our entire marriage. Of course being raised a JW, furthering education was looked down upon. So he has been every lowly job from a janitor, pool maintenance man, bag boy at a grocery store to now having his own insurance business. He too got sick of answering to the elders as to why he wasn't at meetings. "Why don't you just get another job, one that won't keep you away from meetings" they would ask. Yeah right. Wake up and smell the roses people!

Well I don't want to get ranting.
You are certainly appreciated here. Cal has done a great job with this site.
I have found so many new friends here and would like to be yours also.

Sophia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 5:32 pm 

Welcome Ken, you have found the right place. I am not nor have ever been a JW but come here for support in helping my brother and his family. These people are amazing, non-judgmental and caring. The information on the website has kept me busy learning all I can. We have some great discussions and we are always praying for another and those we love. Where ever you are in your journey these people can help you.
I am currently reading Ray Franz Crisis book, wow. I only wish my brother would read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 6:05 pm 

Welcome Ken!
Your story is definitely not boring. I'm not a JW nor was I raised one, but I happen to be in a relationship with a JW, and this site has helped me tremendously! You're doing the right thing by coming here...keep posting!

Lauren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 8:56 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

As everyone else as said my brother, you've come to the right place, real Christian love can be had here, and guess what? You don't have to work for it, it's given free for the asking, just like salvation my brother, just ask, Jesus will lead you to real and lasting truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 2:51 pm 
Master Member
Master Member

Welcome to the forum Ken. Wow, your story is, as Sophia mentioned, different yet the same. Your eyes have been opened to the falsehood of the WTS, but everyone around you refuses to even peek. My thought is, if you have the real "truth", what are you so afraid of? God's Word is one, so if there is anything to verify it is outside of His Word. Witnesses don't see the reason why the WTS won't allow them to investigate their teachings: because they don't hold water.

Your situation at home is tricky, but your wife needs to think twice about what actions she plans to take if you decide to leave the witnesses. Unless you commit adultery, her divorcing you would be a sin and can get her df'd in some congregations. If the only difference you both have is your religious belief she must stay with you. This could be a blessing, since most JW's believe if you leave their "spiritual paradise" you will be miserable for the rest of your life. If she sees the contrary it may get her wondering. Don't lose faith, Ken. We've seen the Lord work miracles in people no one would ever believe could leave the org. Look at Cal - in the org 35 years, an elder no less, yet today he is a Spirit filled Christian teaching about the lies in the WTS. In Christ, everything is possible!

Glad you joined us. Hope we can be a source of comfort to you. You're in my prayers.

God bless,

Mrs. R

Post subject: I was stupid
PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 3:33 pm 

I was stupid. To appease my wife, I met with a couple of the Elders about a month after my Disassociation letter. They told me Ray Franz was an apostate because he and some others like Ed Dunlap were trying to start their own religion!

After having read Ray's book, I knew that wasn't true. They didn't know anything about the WTS's afilliation with the UN.

But....it's so interesting how a two hour meeting can begin to suck you back into their warped senses. That was about a month and a half ago. I've been to two meetings, I think...since that time.

I just wish I could find out how to correspond with Ray Franz!

Former J.W.

as of 01/20/07

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I was stupid
PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan, 2007 3:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TrekkerKen wrote:
I just wish I could find out how to correspond with Ray Franz!

You might start by sending an email to the address on this web site;

http://www.commentarypress.com/index.html

Today's "Quote Worth Re-quoting"
“Many people think they have an open mind when it is really their mouth.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 19 Jan, 2007 2:35 pm 

Thanks Cal. Email sent..we'll see how quick they are to forward/respond.... :lol:

You know, I suppose if I started sharing what I have learned with some of my witness friends, those who still at least talk with me, I might be labeled an apostate myself.....interesting idea.

Find out something was false, expose it, and be branded an apostate to GOD...even though I'd really be an apostate to the WTS.....they really poke you until you give in.

"You still believe in Jehovah and Jesus don't you? If you disassociate yourself, you are telling GOD you don't believe in him or his son and don't want to do what he says. Remember the scripture about the pig returning to the mire? You'd be trampling on the precious gift of Jesus sacrifice."

above basically a quote in my "spiritual readjustment" meeting with two elders.

Former J.W.

as of 01/20/07

Profile E-mail