TowerWatch Ministries • View topic - Hello everyone from Patricia - raised JW

Former Jehovah’s Witnesses and others creating a warm Christian atmosphere

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello everyone from Patricia - raised JW
PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 3:20 am 
Poster

Hi everyone;

This is my second attempt. I wrote earlier, but when I submitted it, nothing happened. Here I go again.

I have been reading your postings, and it is good to find other people who have had experiences with the JW organization. I was raised JW until I was 16. At that time I left home and was taken under the wing of a Christian woman. She became like a mother to me. In the 30 years since, my family feels sorry for me that I never could accept the teachings of the organization even though I sat through meetings 3 times a week and all the assemblies and went in service.

I saw the posting of a young woman on this site and it reminded me of those days. It is hard to lose the only "friends" you know. I was not allowed to associate with other people growing up. I still feel awkward in situations where I need social skills. I think I deal with things OK, but I always feel the doubt of how to interact because I was never taught to.

I stated in the other post that nearly all of my family is JW, all the way back to my great-grandmother. It is good to know that there are others who understand the questioning and doubt that comes with moving on from that upbringing. When I think about what made me leave it is the fact that a person is not free to think for themselves or question anything. All the material is written by the organization, including the answers to their already written questions. I wanted to scream out the things I was thinking. But, control is the name of the game in the Kingdom Hall. You never say that you think another way. You don't reach out to the sad disfellowshipped person sitting at the back of the hall. You walk past them with out speaking because the "brothers" know whether or not they are truly repentent or not. It was sad and pitiful. I always felt ashamed that I didn't take their hand or give them a hug. No person should be shunned by anyone who considers themselves a Christian (Christ like, following the teachings of Christ).

I am looking forward to sharing my insight and experiences. I am far removed from the orgnization now, but I will always know how fortunate I am to have found my way out of it all.

Thanks for letting me tell a little of my story.

Patricia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone from Patricia - raised JW
PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 12:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Patricia,

Welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

I think you will find many folks here who understand what you are going through. Folks here are very kind as I am sure you know since you have been reading their posts.

Thanks for sharing your story. I apologize for the hassle you had to go though to register and I appreciate patience and we are glad you decided to become a part of our forum.

Today's "Quote Worth Re-quoting"
“Many people think they have an open mind when it is really their mouth.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 7:25 pm 
Master Member
Master Member

Welcome to our humble forum, Patricia.

Many of us here know your pain. We've been there, done that, and praise God we can tell about it and encourage others in the process! Here on the forum you'll find the unconditional love that Jesus spoke of but that we didn't experience as JW's. I'm so glad you tried again and were able to join us. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing cyber-fellowship with you.

God bless,

Mrs. R

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:31 pm 

Welcome to the forum!

3rd Generation JW myself. It is great to find a place like this where people share the same feelings !

This is a site of understanding, compassion and friendship!

Welcome!!

Former J.W.

as of 01/20/07

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2009 3:57 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

you are very welcome Patricia, thank you for sharing a little of your testimony with us. I nor any of my family have anything to do with the Watchtower org, but I do have a lot of compassion towards the individual Jehovah's witness to make me want to know them better, and this forum has been such a blessing to me, and I know it will be a blessing to you also. :)

Joh 13:1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 11:02 pm 
Poster

Hi everyone:

Thanks for the warm welcome. And Ken, how wonderful that you moved away from a false "truth".

The theory of cognitive disonance says that people will not believe any information contrary to their own beliefs unless they are made to question those beliefs. Being raised JW makes it very hard for people to believe anything else. Questioning is the biggest "sin" within the organization. That puts a stop to most people ever thinking outside the JW box. Isn't it a good thing that Christ can break through the walls we put up in our minds. We need to continue to pray that those walls built by the Watchtower, Bible and Tract Society will crumble.

Patricia

Profile E-mail