TowerWatch Ministries • View topic - Hello!

Former Jehovah’s Witnesses and others creating a warm Christian atmosphere

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 5:18 am 

Hello everyone!

I have been familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses since 1969 (I was 12). Before that, I was fascinated with the Bible, but because of the old English used in KJV, I could not really understand it.

I met with a girl who was a JW and she introduced me to the little blue book called "Truth that Leads to Eternal Life". She was the one who told me that the world would be destroyed in 1975. Naturally I was frightened but at the same time excited, because I thought by studying with her, I would understand the Bible more.

I thought I was given the secret knowledge, so I hid the book and the Awake! materials in my drawer. Somehow my grandfather found them and forbade me to study with that girl. At first, I felt bad, but right now I am thankful that it happened.

When 1975 came and went, I realized that my grandfather was right. He told me at that time the Russelites (old term for JW back then) used to warn people that the world would end in 1920's, 30's and 40's but nothing had happened and he was the living proof.

By the grace of God and the Holy Spirit's leading, I received Jesus Christ as my savior and I have been to this day studying the Bible. Right now I am warning the deaf people (both Christians and non-Christians) by showing them the history, the failed prophecies and many other things regarding the Watchtower.

I find this forum very informative. I am looking forward to learning from you and in due time I will share with you what I know from my experience.

Batty

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 4:47 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hi Batty, good to have you with us, I am sure you will find a blessing here, as we will by reading your post's.
I my self was never a JW, nor any of my family, but like you I became a member of Tower Watch discussion board to try and get some understand about the watch tower org. and I have been greatly blest.
Yes there is a great lot of information on this board and so many willing to help.

Joh 13:1 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 9:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum Batty, what a great story.

Today's "Quote Worth Re-quoting"
“Many people think they have an open mind when it is really their mouth.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 1:04 pm 

Welcome Batty,

It's good that you not only tell them not to be a JW but the WHY.
I think most people miss this important step.

My wife always avoided the Witnesses when she was younger because that's what her
Parents told her. If only someone would have told her the reason and help her understand
Their false teachings and their false gospel, she may have never joined and became a Witness.
Blessings,

Friendly Sid

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 3:58 pm 

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I am a sub teacher and I believe it is very essential to give the students/listeners facts, because the students always ask "Why?" So naturally, I make the presentations to show them the "Whys".

Most of us deaf people are very visual, so some of the uninformed deaf people see the friendly JWs who come to their door with the Bible in their hands and they assume the JWs are Christians.

After showing the deaf the Power Point with evidences of how the Watchtower mislead the population, they were surprised but glad that they were informed. Right now they know not to invite the JWs into their houses or to accept their literature.

I was invited to attend a Kingdom Hall last year. I was surprised to find all of the hearing members in that particular Hall knew sign language. I was told they were pushing to reach and witness the deaf.

The WT made CD's of the Bible in American Sign Languge. I watched one of the sample DVDs and it saddens me to see that John 1:1, Col. 1:16-17, etc..were flawed. For those who are not familiar with the Word of God would not know the difference. How sad.

I will pray for your wife, friendly_sid, that she will see the truth. The LORD knows and in due time, her eyes will be opened.

Batty

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:43 pm 

Hi, Batty!

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, God bless you for being a substitute teacher!! I am a middle school teacher and I don't know what we would do without the subs.

Like John, I have never been a Jehovah's Witness. I got interested in the JWs when I lived with a JW family in Mexico four years ago. You're right -- it can be very hard to distinguish the true from the false when you are listening to a JW, even those of us who know Christ as Savior and know the Bible pretty well.

God is using you mightily in your ministry to the deaf! Keep fighting the good fight for God and helping us teachers of the world by subbing! : )

Jay