TowerWatch Ministries • View topic - Hello From Taffylilly

Former Jehovah’s Witnesses and others creating a warm Christian atmosphere

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello From Taffylilly
PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2007 2:26 am 

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and some background on why I am interested in this community. My name is Elizabeth. I am 39 years old and currently live in northeastern New Mexico. I have a ten-year-old daughter and two soon-to-be stepdaughters (14 and 7). In November 2007, I experienced a stillbirth and through that experience, I started to seek a much closer relationship with God than I had been participating in for the past four years.

I have always been a Believer in God and consider myself more faithful than religious. I was raised a Catholic but converted to Pentecostal at about the age of 14. About five years ago, my life started to fall apart - my mother became ill with cancer and died; my husband who had always been an alcoholic began showing signs of mental illness; and eventually my marriage started crumbling. Slowly, my relationship with God began to weaken. I couldn't understand why these things kept happening because I was trying so hard to be "good". Of course, when my marriage could no longer be salvaged, I was really mixed up. I knew that divorce was Biblically wrong unless there was adultery (and there was none); but I couldn't handle the living situation I was in and could not justify allowing my daughter to believe that living that way was "normal". If we were at our last $5 and it came between buying beer or milk, we bought beer; otherwise, he'd rant and rave and make me miserable and scare my child. I went to my pastor and his wife for help and the answers they gave me were not any help. The pastor quoted scripture "what God hath joined together, let no man put asunder."; and his wife said "Yes, but how do you know God joined them together. Sometimes we don't wait on God and then blame Him for our problems." So instead of help, it was a debate and I got frustrated. I guess I didn't really turn my back on my faith, I sort of just let it sit stagnant and did not actively practice my faith for a few years.

Having fertility problems, my first child is a miracle baby. She is not supposed to be here. So when I fell in love, got engaged and got pregnant with my second child (admittedly out of wedlock but I was not really practicing my faith) - I was ecstatic. I knew it was a blessing straight from God himself. In spite of medical problems I would tell my fiancee that this baby was going to survive because "No way God was going to create a miracle and allow anything bad to happen." So when my daughter was stillborn at 5 1/2 months, besides being devastated I was confused (still am). To make matters worse, she died not as the result of any defects with her or any of my medical conditions. I contracted an infection which got trapped in the amniotic sac. The doctor said it was just a case of "bad luck" and I could try for other children. The problem is that I wanted a baby so badly that I asked God to let me have one more before I turned 40 at which point I would follow Dr's advice and get a hysterectomy In effect, it is like my last chance for more children was ripped from me. So, another horrible thing happened which should have totally crushed my faith; but instead, as soon as I got back from the hospital, I went straight to my knees and asked for God's help to get through this and promised I would seek to strengthen our relationship. I have discovered two things will bring you to God or turn you away from Him and they are directly opposite from each other. One is extreme blessing and the other is extreme trials. I fall into the extreme trials category.

I had been studying with the JWs off and on for about a year. Because I told God I would develop a closer relationship with Him after the stillbirth, I started to pay more attention to my instructor and study more often. I have a wonderful woman who comes once a week to study with me. I was perfectly fine with everything she said, and was well on my way to joining their organization until the day she told me that "worshiping Jesus is the same as worshiping Satan." My mind screamed at me that she was wrong....so very wrong. I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. I know that He will get me through all hard times. I know Jesus is my Lord and Savior and not the Archangel Michael. I love this woman dearly but the things she says frighten me and I do not understand how this beautiful, intelligent person who obviously loves God could be so misinformed and intent on misinforming me also. She brings scriptures and documentation. She tells me that Jehovah will not accept me if I refuse to accept Him (but I have accepted Him - she just doesn't realize it). The proof she brings is overwhelming - she even offered to get me a copy of the Emphatic Diaglott. That book almost convinced me she was correct until I started researching and found that the Greek was mistranslated and biased. She does not just bring me JW literature, she brings the Greek Interlinear, Emphatic Diaglott, NWT, NKJV, KJV, and several other Bible versions from her personal library. This woman opens up these Bibles and effectively uses them to prove her points. She has taken me to one meeting and keeps offering to pick me up to attend others. Now, I am being pressured to attend the Yearly Memorial this Monday.

I guess I just need some support and encouragement to stand my ground in the presence of this pressure and "evidence". I also need to fortify myself scripturally for this onslaught. I love this woman and value her friendship which is why I don't want to upset her and/or make her angry; but I am not willing to give up my salvation for it. Any ideas anyone has that can help me stand my ground would be greatly appreciated.

Peace and Love,

Elizabeth

Post subject: Re: Hello From Taffylilly
PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 9:29 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

taffylilly wrote:
Hello everyone.

I love this woman and value her friendship which is why I don't want to upset her and/or make her angry; but I am not willing to give up my salvation for it. Any ideas anyone has that can help me stand my ground would be greatly appreciated.

Peace and Love,

Elizabeth

Hi taffylilly.

You will soon find how far this "friendship" will go on her end. As long as she has any hope that she may gain you as a JW, she will remain. However, you are convicted it seems in your Salvation with Jesus Christ, something they cannot grasp. You mentioned your determination to become close to God... well, you have... you've accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior. You definitely will not find a peaceful and loving relationship with God in the JW's... I speak from 29 years in them raised in it from age 4. You may value her friendship, but friendship won't keep her coming back to see you once she knows your stance and steadfastness with Christ is unshakable. It may be hard at first to do so, but perhaps this may be the time in your life to cut ties with the JW's and concentrate fully on Christ... any so called persuasion and convincing she shows you will only cloud the real TRUTH of God's Word.

Remain Steadfast! Great to see you the Forum!

-Looking Forward To The Trumpet Call-

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 2:07 pm 

Hi taffylilly,

I'll add my 2 cents... Lifeafter is correct. The JW's are taught to have conditional love. Something Jesus never taught.

For me, I briefly started a study with the Witnesses and I kept having the nagging feeling that something was wrong. My wife, unfortunately continued to study and is currently a baptized member, but for me I felt like the Witnesses were trying to Make me believe there interpretation of the Bible. I went along for a while. I guess it was just me trying to be kind. I finally woke up and realized that this was not what I believed. I was just going along with whatever they said.

I'm not sure who said it or if I have the exact words to the quote but the quote "If you don't stand up for what you believe then you will end up believing anything." kept ringing in my mind. That's what started to open my mind to question their teachings. I started to study the Bible and research the Watchtowers past.

I am now a firm believer that you don't need an organization, just a personal relationship with Jesus.

Welcome to this forum!

Friendly Sid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 5:30 pm 

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your welcome, input and support. I guess I know what you are saying is true. It is just that as I stated, my instructor is a wonderful person and while I know that ultimately keeping myself clear of confusion should be my goal; I find myself wanting to change her thinking (which is probably not going to happen). I know that we are not supposed to argue over the Word of God, and also salvation is up to the individual. It is just that I see in this woman a strong desire to do God's Will and I can't help feeling that if she could only see the Truth; she would be so blessed. Meanwhile, the more I hold on to this relationship; it seems the more confused I get. Recognizing such, maybe it is time to discontinue my studying with this lady. Thanks so much for your help.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr, 2007 1:50 pm 
Master Member
Master Member

taffylilly wrote:
my instructor is a wonderful person and while I know that ultimately keeping myself clear of confusion should be my goal; I find myself wanting to change her thinking (which is probably not going to happen). I know that we are not supposed to argue over the Word of God, and also salvation is up to the individual. It is just that I see in this woman a strong desire to do God's Will and I can't help feeling that if she could only see the Truth; she would be so blessed. Meanwhile, the more I hold on to this relationship; it seems the more confused I get. Recognizing such, maybe it is time to discontinue my studying with this lady. Thanks so much for your help.

Elizabeth

Keep in mind that if their teachings make you confused instead of convinced, there is something terribly wrong. The Bible is not confusing to those that are seeking Him. The Holy Spirit is our Ultimate Instructor, and He will be the one guiding you in your search for a closer relationship with God. He won't confuse you. Just the fact that you feel this uneasy is a clear warning from the Lord that this is NOT the direction He is leading you.

God bless,

Mrs. R